[kwlug-disc] Self-introduction

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 14:01:25 EST 2018

Yes, very true. A fine job from Simon Quigley and gang.  Theming
inconsistencies abound though in Lubuntu 18.10(where the LXqt stuff was
introduced), but I think this is to expected as it is a short-term release
to see what sticks/works.

I still use Lubuntu on a fairly old Thinkpad X31 with a  1.6Ghz Dothan
CPU(non-PAE thing) and that works quite well with a 7200RPM spinner and 2G
of RAM.

The new Lubu still suffers from a deficit that I fear diminishes it's
adoption by the Linux community, that deficit being key bindings, or more
appropriately, a lack of key bindings for the usual GUI end-user tasks.
Seems like too much work to address this shortcoming(at least to me) when
there is Xfce and Mate. Xfce is quite mature, reliable and the
implementation by the Mint team is sublime.

I did find an interesting oddity with Lubu 18.10, the memory footprint was
greater than Mint Xfce(!) Not sure if it was due to the qt libs and such
being loaded in ram for a snappier response, odd, all the same.

Thanks,

Ron Singh