[kwlug-disc] Upgrading underlying Fedora 23 to Fedora 25 on Vortexbox 2.4

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Jul 24 10:48:02 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 07:11:31AM -0400, John Driezen wrote:

>I am trying to upgrade the underlying Fedora 23 to Fedora 25 on my
>Vortexbox version 2.4.  I am attempting to use the following commands:

John, according to the Fedora Wiki, it sounds like upgrading across more
than one release is only very briefly supported:

    "However, for the first month or so after a new release comes out,
    upgrades from the last-but-one release to that release are
    'supported'"

It otherwise seems to suggest that you'll need to step through
individual releases. Ex: 23 -> 24 -> 25.

See:

1.  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade#Can_I_upgrade_from_an_End_of_life_release.3F

2.  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade#How_many_releases_can_I_upgrade_across_at_once.3F

That said, you're also bringing non-fedora repository support into
question, namely rpmfusion. It looks like you're getting prompted to
accept the signing key rpmfusion uses for their Fedora 24 repository,
which won't validate the rpmfusion packages targetting Fedora 25.

My suggestions (in order)

1. Try upgrading in steps

2. Try upgrading without rpmfusion (re-enable it afterwards)

You may also want to consider rebuilding your VM using a distro with
longer term support, such as CentOS.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca