[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 12:12:50 EST 2018

My vote is for Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1(this cut uses the 4.4LTS kernel),
set the system updates for security on(for now).
See --
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=226

The 18.3 version is sure pretty and offers quite a lot of newer versions of
apps and new apps, but uses a non-LTS kernel, 4.13 I think. You can always
install an older kernel or newer kernel.

I have a messing-around laptop running LM 18.3 Cinnamon with the 4.4LTS and
the 4.14LTS kernels loaded and I switch back and forth to see how well both
plays with LM 18.3. So far so good, no hiccups, but am unwilling to commit
that to a daily driver at this point.

Thanks,

Ron Singh