[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jan 26 12:09:42 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:03 PM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:

> I have a box running Ubuntu that has been idle for a while.
> I think that the box set up with Ubuntu is likely at 14.x.
> When it is next turned on will it update automatically?

Usually no, but automatic updates can be configured.

I don't ever set a box to automatically update since it can disrupt my
workflow or break some applications.

> If so, what will it update to?

If you upgrade now, it should go to 16.04.x.

> Will Unity go away?

I think 16.04 still has Unity.

> What should I use instead of Unity? (let the flame wars begin)

Depends on your preferences. I recommend XFCE, since it is low resources,
and does not get in your way.

The way to do this (or switch to any other desktop) is to remove the
current desktop meta package and install a new one.

sudo aptitude purge ubuntu-desktop
sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.