[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu going back to Xorg

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 09:35:16 EST 2018

To be honest, 17.10 really disappointed me.  It failed to install several
times until I gave up on it.  It disappointed me so much, in fact, that I
now have more Fedora systems in the house than I do Ubuntu, and my main
desktop has stayed at Ubuntu 17.04 and is now out of support.  (and for the
record, the Fedora install is way better than Ubuntu's, especially if you
want granular control over LVM)

I have nothing against GNOME, as evidenced by the Fedora boxes around the
place, so Ubuntu's leaving Unity didn't bother me too much.  It was a bit
of an inconvenience but I'll get over it.  I don't have any grudges against
any of the other DE's, such as KDE, Mate, etc., but I do like GNOME.  I'm
also trying to avoid any distros that try to look like Microsoft Windows
(like Linux Mint, although I can't fault it for its popularity).

But where Wayland loses me is the lack of native VNC support.  This applies
to Fedora as well as Ubuntu.  So any machine that I have that's Wayland is
currently SSH only, whereas the holdout Ubuntu (Xorg) 17.04 can handle VNC
tunnelled through SSH.  And several times a day I need to hit the GUI from
work, so I need the VNC/SSH.   I _could_ go third party with TeamViewer or
something like that on my Wayland boxes, but in my mind that takes away
from the "purity" of the experience.  Not sure how to better explain that,
sorry....

The impression I get from this article is that Wayland is only
back-burnered for now.  It will come to Ubuntu eventually, unless they come
up with a better idea.  But I'm not going to complain that I can now
install an LTS (18.04) that still allows VNC over SSH...