[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 17.10

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 16:18:08 EST 2018

I went to 17.10 (vanilla Ubuntu) on my desktop with the assumption that I
could just use my laptop if I didn't like it. But I've mostly switched to
using it as my main machine.

Mind you, I'm not doing much more than web surfing and occasional Steam
game playing.

I've noticed some apps fail to load. Like Abiword. Which is a bit
frustrating. But I kind of like the UI overall. And I fully expected it
would be kind of unstable, being the first interim release after a hugely
major architectural change.

For the most part, I'm using it and I'm happy.  Looking forward to 18.04.
I might upgrade early.

I'm using Mate on Oracle Linux (basically Red Hat) at work, because a
stupid kernel update killed the proprietary nvidia drivers which led to yum
destroying Gnome. I'm definitely sticking to apt-based systems where I can.
Mate feels old and clunky.

Darcy.