[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 17.10

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Jan 23 15:20:31 EST 2018

I was an Ubuntu user (with the old Gnome2 desktop, or the Gnome
Fallback desktop) until about 2013, switched to Mint Debian Edition
2013 because it promised to be a rolling release (no 6 month upgrades,
just continuously up-to-date). This got me hooked on Mate, the
replacement for Gnome2. But come 2014 the Mint people decided that
Debian Edition would need upgrades after all, so I went back to Ubuntu
LTS releases, still with the Mate desktop. I'm now transitioning to
Debian Testing on desktops/laptops, and Debian Stable on servers, in
the hope of getting back the equivalent of rolling releases.

I used to run SuSE servers for work, but only briefly experimented
with that for a desktop solution. The dpkg packaging system is much
better than YAST, Rug, RedCarpet, and whatever else SuSE was using.

Haven't experimented with Fedora/Red Hat except on VMs.

- --Bob, who's looking forward to James's installation presentation.