[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 17.10

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jan 23 12:02:28 EST 2018

I never jumped on the Mint bandwagon for a simple reason: I want my servers
and my desktops to be from the same set of repositories. Since Ubuntu is
offered by most hosting companies (dedicated and virtual), that is what I
use on the desktop. Not many (if at all) offer Mint for servers.

I did move from KDE to XFCE about a year ago after I moved from 14.04 to
16.04 and found it lacking a few things that I was used to (working weather
widget, removing options, such as notification history). So I moved to XFCE
after a decade with KDE. Don't miss it really.

As for interim releases, I have learned my lesson and never ever bother
with interim releases. Only LTS releases (12.04, 14.04, 16.04) for me. And
I move from one to the next after they have been out for many months do I
bother upgrading to them. Two or so point releases. Let others be the
guinea pigs. I stick with stable stuff. Less drama ...