[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 17.10

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 11:33:43 EST 2018

@crankyoldbugger, you know, I spent 2 months trying every offering from
Ubuntu from 14.04 to 17.04, with every single one of their DEs, Debian
9(Mate/Xfce/Gnome DEs), OpenSUSE, Kali, Zorin, Solus, Elementary, Mint. All
were loaded as a bare-metal install to remove any VM bias, took a long
time.

I settled on Mint 18.1 Xfce for my daily drivers, and Mint 18.3
Cinnamon(reverted to a 4.4.0.104 Kernel(LTS) from the 4.10 Kernel it ships
with) for my media playback laptops.
I did this out of a burning desire for the most rock-solid Linux experience
I could get.

Mint 18.1 is the most solid(with the 4.4.0.xxx kernel), the Xfce DE is the
most intuitive and transparent of the lot, at least to me.
KDE(Plasma) was a horrid experience, Gnome3, pretty much the same with
those uber-annoying task bars on the screen, which I know can be modified,
but straight out of the box, too much stuff is hidden and coming from an
XP/W7 environment, too jarring and well, it slowed me down and provided
zero value-add.

With Mint, I really appreciate like the ability to have total control over
what gets updated, the delivery of information via the changelogs on each
app update/system update is excellent and one can make a personal judgement
on the value of any given update. I do security updates on all userspace
apps, I do security updates on system apps after reviewing the
changelogs(not that hard and pretty quick to deal with) and I do
kernel/driver updates every 3 months. I often go to www.kernel.org just to
see what those gods have to say in their changelogs on the kernel.

My "messing around" laptop is running LM 18.3 Xfce with the 4.14 kernel
which I grabbed from Ubuntu's repo and this far, no surprises, but I would
not commit it to a production PC. For my money, you want to work and not
mess with load/reload of an OS, stick with LM 18.1 Xfce, you will be real
happy. This is from a new-ish user(1 year) of Linux, so take it for what it
is:-)

Thanks,

Ron Singh

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:03 AM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com