[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 17.10

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 11:03:06 EST 2018

Just a general question...  but for those of you who are using the latest
Ubuntu 17.10 (where GNOME replaced Unity), how are you getting along with
it?  Is it working stable for you?

I've had nothing but bad luck with the 17.10 release.  So bad that all but
one of my machines got switched over to Fedora instead of Ubuntu, and my
main desktop is staying at Ubuntu 17.04 until either 18.04 comes out and is
shown to work well, or I find another distro like Mint or Fedora or Kali.
Currently that 17.04 machine is out of support now so I can't even get
security updates.  Not a happy place.

The machines that got switched over to Fedora 27 have been running like a
charm.

And before you ask.. it hasn't been just one problem, it's been a variety
of problems for each of the machines I tried installing it on.  And running
17.10 in a VM at work has been disappointing as well.

Is it just me, or are other people getting disillusioned with Ubuntu's
return to GNOME in 17.10?