[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Jan 21 23:24:25 EST 2018

James Kelsh wrote:
> My little talk in February seems redundant now

Hardly. There's nothing like a live demonstrations where you can ask
about things as they happen.

Looking forward to it.

- --Bob.

On 2018-01-21 08:07 PM, James Kelsh wrote:
> My little talk in February seems redundant now 🤔 but I am doing
> it anyway!!! 😜
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 21, 2018, at 5:49 PM, Andrew Sullivan Cant
>> <acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> On the topic of money and getting started with Linux I just saw
>> a tweet from Marcel Gagné that he has started a Patreon to
>> support his linux video tutorial efforts: *
>> https://www.patreon.com/marcelgagne
>>
>> His videos are online at a few places and cover a range of
>> topics: * http://cookingwithlinux.com/ *
>> https://www.youtube.com/user/freethinkeratlarge
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>>> On 20/01/18 01:57, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote: (I
>>> thought I sent this already, but I guess not. Apologies if it
>>> is a duplicate.)
>>>
>>> That is a generous offer.
>>>
>>> There may be a call for people to help KWLUG financially if we
>>> cannot get a free meeting space for our new home.
>>>
>>> There are also other items that I have been thinking about
>>> fundraising for. It would be nice to get a better projector,
>>> for example.
>>>
>>> But none of this directly relates to your offer. I think that
>>> if you as an individual was to arrange for some KWLUG speakers
>>> then that could work, but it would be you who makes the
>>> financial arrangements (because as Chamunks noted KWLUG does
>>> not officially exist). Once you have somebody arranged I (or
>>> another organizer) can slot that presenter in.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that in addition to finding people who know how
>>> to do Linux administration, we would want to bring in people
>>> who also have skills at doing presentations for others. Robert
>>> Elder might qualify for this, but I think arbitrary people on
>>> UpWork would need more vetting.
>>>
>>> Having said that, I think there are MANY people on this list
>>> who have the knowledge and talent to offer some really good
>>> newbie training, either during meetings or as a separate
>>> event. I would love to see a few more offers from people
>>> willing to present Linux basics.
>>>
>>> I agree that getting newbies out to meetings is a challenge.
>>> Sometimes people come for a few sessions, and then leave
>>> because the talks people are willing to offer are at too high
>>> a technical level (or maybe we are unfriendly in other ways).
>>>
>>> John got us started on a list of topics, but it is not clear
>>> to me which ones are in demand, or are most useful in 2018.
>>>
>>> I am guessing these will be incorporated into regular KWLUG
>>> meetings, as opposed to being separate events?
>>>
>>> - Paul

and see if they would be amenable to doing a 60-minute segment for newbies

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01ae67e5ea9c1e9763/

How about Robert Elder?

He is quite the CLI guy.