[kwlug-disc] TV watching / Kodi / Netflix

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 23:12:23 EDT 2018

Colin this is what I found too, Netflix sucks on Android boxes because
of the interface. I tried a Netflix app on a Samsung Smart TV and it
had a much more remote-friendly UI than the Android app. We have a
Zoomtak T8H Android box. We use it in one room, and a PC as in another
room. The PC is our KODI server. I've gone through what must be a
dozen different configurations and finally ended up back with a
full-fledged PC connected to our main television.

I went smaller in the living room, but smaller boxes meant connecting
drives via USB (or a NAS elsewhere), and that resulted in more cabling
= more mess. With the PC I just throw more drives in when I want,
there's also a longer software upgrade path, and possible hardware
upgrade path. Right now I also have a wireless xbox 360 controller
connected to it and our Steam library sits on it. There's a launcher
for KODI that launches Steam, then lets you exit Steam back to KODI.

I've shared our blu-ray, dvd, and television collection via SAMBA
(read only) with our network. I do all the ripping on another desktop
Linux box and transfer the files over to the server via Filezilla. A
lot of what I watch are old DVDs I've picked up when places like
Salvation Army have a 1/2 off sale ($1.50/DVD). We also watch Netflix
through the Zoomtak Android box, but like you, I find the interface
pretty bad for navigating with remote.
On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:01 PM Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day everyone,
>
> With the recent expiry of one of my little G-Box Android devices, I'm once more looking into this lovely mess of managing media and getting it all to work harmoniously.
>
> Current setup are Android boxes on the front end, with MythTV Recordings (for OTA), an NFS media library and now Netflix.  I use Kodi to browse the NFS library and MythTV recordings and access Netflix with the Android app.
>
> It's still a little clunky as navigating Netflix works best with a mouse of some kind, while Kodi is all one remote.
>
> So I'm wondering what's changed?  What do others do to consume media from multiple sources?  Is it worth exploring Netflix on Linux and dropping Android boxes?
>

> Thanks!

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux