[kwlug-disc] More wi-fi adventures

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:31:44 EDT 2018

If some of you recall, I was unable to get the wi-fi working on my laptop
after installing Ubuntu 18.04.  It works fine with any Fedora derivative
distro, however.  Well, after 18.04.01 came out I thought I'd try my luck
again but still no-go.  I can not connect to my home network via wi-fi
(ethernet cable works fine, btw).  This is tested using a Live CD as well
as the actual install process.  I think the wireless card is an Intel
n-2230 (but I'm not at home right now so I can't confirm that).  Ubuntu
sees the NIC, and installs the drivers, etc., but it just won't connect.
It sees several SSIDs so that much of it is working.  It keeps asking me
for the wifi password over and over when I try to connect.  I've tried both
my personal and guest wi-fi, and I even lowered the security on the router
a little bit to see if that helps.  No change...

So for fun I install Solus OS and it connects fine, but for some reason it
won't come back from hibernating cleanly so that's it for that distro..

I'm going to try some other distros just to see what I end up with but I
wanted to vent a little bit in here...  This isn't my main machine so I can
afford to experiment, but it is getting a little frustrating now...