[kwlug-disc] Skype (replacement)

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 23:42:51 EST 2017

I get the same feeling of Matrix being fully OSS as opposed to the highly
curated "touch and feel" of the Wire experience as in "nothing to see here,
just use the app, trust us, we know what we are doing". I imagine it is
likely some sort of a vestigial behavior from the Skype days, so I am quite
OK with that. It's the impression I get.

>From a consumer point of view, I am looking for a Linux/Android/Windows
app that replaces Skype, a thing that is used by 70+ million users, regular
folks, not Linux fiends or coding hounds. Wire has a huge opportunity to
capture  a ton of dismayed Skype users(regular folks) if they can only
reach out to us.
I(regular folk) have to go scouring the web or asks folks on KWLUG for some
suggestions, who thankfully are so helpful.

I do like what I see, although I am quite dismayed by Wire's massive CPU
demands(due to the P2P encryption engine mebbe?) which just by itself will
hamper it's persistent adoption. If you are over 40, WireApp's color schema
is supremely irritating, one should not have to work to figger what is a
button and what is not. I am playing with in on 4 platforms and seeking
user feedback.

I am about to send off a note to Wire to suggest that they take all of the
iconification elements of Skype 4.3 and placements of icons in Skype 4.3
and make that their goto for Wire. it is super clean, intuitive, plays
perfectly on a desktop and is decently useful on a 7" tablet. A nice note
though, not whining much.

If Wire can skin their desktop/web app to be intuitive enough such that a
80 yo can handle it, man, that would be something. I am hopeful they are
receptive to some suggestions for seemingly a mundane thing as ease-of-use
and reliability.

Matrix is massively interesting, but for me(like 70+ milliion users of
Skype), today, I will need to seek out and really test apps such as Wire
and Telegram and ??? as an acceptable replacement for Skype.

One glaring artifact of my 11-month old foray into a Linux-based computer
existence, is this --- it is impossible that Linux will ever gain the
acceptance it warrants. Distro folks just have no means to engaging the
public, the UI folks seems to be often really disassociated from users, the
people who make the numbers pop and get stat peeps all excited. I am
dependent on the likes of kind souls on KWLUG(yes, Khalid, you are on top
of that list of folks) to point me in the right direction.

I like an Xfce skinned Mint 18.1 distro, nothing breaks, boring reliability
is a good thing. Now to find a FOSS video chat solution that would work as
reliably as the old Skype 4.3 experience.

Sure appreciate you feedback on Wire Hubert, it is good to get a feel for
how these platform are received by folks, ditto for Keefer's comments.

Thanks,

Ron Singh
"
​waxing, white wine in hand​