[kwlug-disc] Firefox 57?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Nov 18 12:00:18 EST 2017

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm giving it a go, switching off Chrome for a while, having been assured
> that my previous Firefox performance issues are a thing of the past. I
> haven't used Firefox in years because it would become unresponsive after
> leaving it open for a day or two. I'm hoping it's better.

Several extensions make this a non-issue.

Auto Unload Tab frees memory and stops any Javascript CPU hogging after a set
time (I use 2 hours).

NoScript prevents JS and Flash from sites not in the whitelist from
running. This
takes care of all the CPU hogging adware, malware, mineware, ....etc.

uBlock Origin also stops ads on sites that are on the whitelist.

This is why the absence of the first two extensions is a show stopper
for my move
to 57.