[kwlug-disc] Firefox 54 with multi-process?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Jun 15 18:35:19 EDT 2017

I'm using IceCat from the GNU download at
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

I think Debian's build of Firefox used to be called IceWeasel, but I
think Debian is calling it Firefox again.

But that explains why I haven't seen any EME.

- --Bob.

On 2017-06-15 06:27 PM, Keefer Rourke wrote:
> Bob,
>
> EME has been present in the builds of Firefox that I've been using
> on Ubuntu 16.10 and 17.04 since at least Firefox 52. I'm fairly
> certain they came around to Ubuntu earlier than that though.
>
> There's a convenient toggle in about:preferences#content that lets
> you disable/enable the Content Decryption Module (CDM) which is
> used to decrypt, decode, and playback Widevine video (such as is
> found on Amazon Video, Netflix, and increasingly on Youtube).
>
> Icecat/Iceweasel/whatever it is actually called doesn't have this
> feature or any of the relevant code in any of it/their/whatever
> builds.
>
> -- Keefer, I dunno, something about freedoms iirc
>
> On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 17:44 -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>> Does this version have the Encrypted Media Extensions yet? (EME
>> is an API for DRM).
>>
>> --BOB, IDK OMG LOL
>>

>> On June 15, 2017 5:33:11 PM AST, Charles McColm
>> <charlesm at theworkingc entre.org> wrote:
>>> It's worth mentioning they've made some changes re: Youtube
>>> layout. Some extensions we were using for Youtube didn't work
>>> until we told FF to revert to classic mode.
>>>
>>> I saw an article that mentioned that multi-process is actually
>>> disabled on Ubuntu because Ubuntu has the Ubuntu modifications
>>> extension which causes an issue with multi-process. Removing
>>> the Ubuntu modifications extension apparently re-enables
>>> multi-process. It was an article on OMGUbuntu:
>>>
>>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/06/firefox-54-now-available-in-ubun

tu

>>> Charles McColm, cr at theworkingcentre.org
>>> http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/ Desk Phone: 519-743-1151
>>> x121 Shop Phone: 519-743-1151 x225 Open Tues. - Fri. 10am -
>>> 5pm
>>>
>>> From: kwlug-disc [kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org] on behalf of
>>> Khalid Baheyeldin [kb at 2bits.com] Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017
>>> 3:21 PM To: KWLUG discussion Subject: [kwlug-disc] Firefox 54
>>> with multi-process?
>>>

>>> The new version of Firefox is available today for my laptop.
>>> This is version 54, which has the multi-process thing
>>> (Electrolysis) enabled by default for everyone.
>>>
>>> https://medium.com/mozilla-tech/the-search-for-the-goldilocks-brows

er-and-why-firefox-may-be-just-right-for-you-1f520506aa35