[kwlug-disc] (Website) Disclaimers and other (unfortunately) necessary / useful language?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Jan 8 13:14:16 EST 2017

AFAIK, the announcement for cookies is only required within the
European Union. https://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/

There's the Canadian anti-spam law which covers things like requiring
consent before installing software on computers
http://fightspam.gc.ca/ But what about Javascript? Nobody ever asks me
about running their Javascript in my browser.

But a question for B.S. - What are you trying to accomplish? If you
don't want people to copy your floppy then something like "Copyright
(c) 2017, All Rights Reserved" should do the trick. If you want to
disclaim responsibility for things people post then something like
"The views expressed are not those of the website owner." Or if you
want to excuse yourself for copying other people's floppies then
"Music and Pictures belong to their rightful owner", as is seen
frequently on YouTube and so must be legally binding, right?

I doubt any disclaimer you put up has any legal weight at all, but IANAL.

- --Bob, who never reads those disclaimers anyway.