[kwlug-disc] Blogging software for Linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Feb 26 19:03:19 EST 2017

Blogging is not dead, but not as popular as it used to be.

Two factors are the cause, in my opinion:

- Google changing their algorithms, giving more weight to sites that they
deem 'authoritative'. This started in 2011 and 2012. Many sites got wiped
from search results because of that.

- People using Facebook pages, or just posts and then tweeting them. Many
businesses and independent content creators are doing that, rather than
maintaining a blog site, with all the effort that entails. Some just do the
same on Youtube via a channel. This is very popular with the younger
generation. They 'watch' instead of 'read'.

As Paul said, those who blog just use the web interface for their blog
software, or CMS. Wordpress, Drupal, ...etc all have web based interfaces
for creating content.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Jeff Smith <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for this.  I looked and now I'm really worried!  Seems none of
> these clients listed under Linux are being maintained anymore.  In fact,
> some are nearly ten years dead now.
>

> Gnome-blog seems to have some potential as it is at least listed in the
> Ubuntu software centre..  I'll give that one a try.
>

> But I can't help but wonder if I'm asking the wrong question here...  So
> how about this one:  is blogging itself dead?  And by blogging, I mean
> uploading snippets of information (e.g. "Coming Events", or "here's what
> happened at event XYZ") to a private website.  Am I taking the
> old-fashioned approach to these websites that I maintain?  I know WordPress
> is a security nightmare but it still seems very popular from what I see.
>  (I know that also sounds suspiciously like Facebook...)
>

> What alternatives are there to blogging in general?  Does anyone still run
> a blog-ish website?

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal