[kwlug-disc] Drupal multi-site + Firefox = chaos & confusion

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Dec 15 18:20:24 EST 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Ronald Barnes <ron at ronaldbarnes.ca> wrote:

> I've restored a Drupal7 multi-site setup from old backups (Ubuntu server
> 16.04 and downgraded to PHP 5.6).

You should need to downgrade. Drupal 7 works fine with the PHP 7.0 that
comes with 16.04.
Ideally you would configure it as PHP-FPM, and use either Apache MPM-Worker
and FastCGI, or Nginx.

When I point Firefox at the server (on my subnet), I get my dd-wrt router's
> status page, despite port-forwarding enabled.
>
> Spent hours looking into this, no idea why.
>

> I ended up wget-ing one site from the server (changing the /etc/hosts file
> so domain pointed to localhost) and copying those over.
>

> Then I accidentally ran wget on my computer (not server) and it ran...
> pulled down lots of resources.
>
> Trying again in Firefox 57.0.1 on Kubuntu 16.04... dd-wrt status.
>
> Tried in Chromium - got the Drupal sites.  Konquerer: got Drupal sites.
>

> Tried to install a new site in the Drupal 7 setup using Firefox and ... it
> *worked*.  But still cannot load other 2 sites Drupal is hosting.
>

> I hope I've explained this mess enough that someone can either suggest
> where to look for my problem, or at least commiserate on the huge level of
> WTF that I'm experiencing.

The problem is not Drupal related.

It could it be that Firefox is caching the name lookup. Did you try to shut
down Firefox and restart it?

The fact that hard coding the sites in /etc/hosts works tells me that it is
something along these lines.

Another thing to check if you have setup Apache with virtual name servers.
This is when one IP address serves multiple sites and the browser has to
send the server name in a Host: header.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.