[kwlug-disc] Drupal multi-site + Firefox = chaos & confusion

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Dec 16 01:32:57 EST 2017

Can't help with the Drupal stuff, but:

> When I point Firefox at the server (on my subnet), I get my dd-wrt
> router's status page, despite port-forwarding enabled.

I'll bet you have the port-forwarding enabled on the router. That
means that any traffic that passes through the router WAN->LAN will
get port-forwarded. But when you try to access your server from the
LAN, if it reaches the router at all it's LAN->WAN, and so doesn't get
port-forwarded.

The trick is to make sure the host at domain name you're using on the
router resolves to the WAN address. I'll bet that either 1) the server
resolves its own name (hosts file? server.conf?) directly to the
router,  or 2) your own computer resolves the server hostname to the
WAN IP address, so its traffic is routed LAN->WAN->LAN and so gets
port-forwarded.

- --Bob.