[kwlug-disc] Tip: USB WiFi dongles

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 18:31:45 EDT 2017

You switched adapters, and therefore, by definition, antennas. (Thus Bob
& Charles point.)

I get that you didn't need an additional external antenna. And not to
say the antenna in the dongle is all that big.

I wonder, given Charles & Bob's points, and AFAIK electronics like
internal Wi-Fi chips don't degrade, they either fail or haven't yet,
whether the connection between your internal Wi-Fi adapter and internal
antenna degraded from laptop lid opens and closes over time.

Given Bob's point, you might see if your router is set to auto-channel
select. I can't speak to the efficacy of such, but I have seen where the
number of routers and channels in the neighbourhood changes over time,
and years later I've had to switch to a (now) less congested channel
than the least congested channel I choose at time of installation.

Mayhap a bit of Velcro on the dongle to the top of the laptop near the
hinge would improve reception while tucking the 'tail' out of the way.