[kwlug-disc] Tip: USB WiFi dongles

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Aug 30 13:33:54 EDT 2017

On 8/30/17, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Khalid we've noticed this with different laptops on the same shelf - some
> get a stronger signal than others. Whether it's how they implement the
> antenna (usually around the screen) or the wireless chip itself, we haven't
> investigated yet. As you've pointed out we've had better success with
> external wifi+an antenna.

I did not need an antenna at all.

Just the $2.20 USB dongle and things are back to good speeds and good
range.

Only drawback is that you have to wait for a month to get it.

And nothing outside the ordinary to fiddle with.

Just go into the Network Manager icon and disable the built in adapter,
and then configure the USB one (which SSID to connect to, password,
then make it the default). That is it. No drivers, no settings, ...etc.