[kwlug-disc] Tip: USB WiFi dongles

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Aug 30 12:30:51 EDT 2017

My old laptop (~ 2009) was not connecting to a router when
farther away than usual (e.g. in the backyard).

Turns out that it is not the router to blame. I used a USB WiFi
dongle that I got with my Raspberry Pi bundle a while back,
and it did work.

The only issue was that this dongle was too long for my liking.

I looked around on eBay and there are ones that are more
compact. it only costs C$2.20. I ordered it and when it arrived
I tested it and it works as expected. Linux (Xubuntu 16.04)
already has the correct drivers for it. Nothing to configure or
fiddle with.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/112224395371

So, if your old laptop is not performing as expected re: wifi,
you have another option to try.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.