[kwlug-disc] Tip: USB WiFi dongles

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 13:22:16 EDT 2017

Khalid we've noticed this with different laptops on the same shelf - some
get a stronger signal than others. Whether it's how they implement the
antenna (usually around the screen) or the wireless chip itself, we haven't
investigated yet. As you've pointed out we've had better success with
external wifi+an antenna.

It's been awhile since I've played with wireless firmware, but I remember
that Tomato let you boost your router's signal. I know lots of folks love
OpenWRT. There's a newer version of Tomato that combines Tomato Shibby with
some others and works on a few more routers called Advanced Tomato.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:31 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> My old laptop (~ 2009) was not connecting to a router when
> farther away than usual (e.g. in the backyard).
>
> Turns out that it is not the router to blame. I used a USB WiFi
> dongle that I got with my Raspberry Pi bundle a while back,
> and it did work.
>
> The only issue was that this dongle was too long for my liking.
>
> I looked around on eBay and there are ones that are more
> compact. it only costs C$2.20. I ordered it and when it arrived
> I tested it and it works as expected. Linux (Xubuntu 16.04)
> already has the correct drivers for it. Nothing to configure or
> fiddle with.
>
> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/112224395371
>
> So, if your old laptop is not performing as expected re: wifi,
> you have another option to try.
> --
> Khalid M. Baheyeldin
> 2bits.com, Inc.
> http://2bits.com
> Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux