[kwlug-disc] Copying a Windows 7 partition to a new disk

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:42:50 EDT 2016

Windows can be very stubborn when you move it to a new HDD.  There are
several utilities out there (one may have even come with your new SSD, or
you can download from the manufacturer) that claim to do the job.  I find
them to be hit/miss, and I strongly suggest that you test the process very
thoroughly before you pitch the old HDD.

I've seen cases where Windows transferred without a single glitch, and I've
seen cases where I had to invent new swear words.  The process is
theoretically possible, but don't depend on blind luck.