[kwlug-disc] Copying a Windows 7 partition to a new disk

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:45:50 EDT 2016

My first thought was to use 'dd' to just duplicate the entire drive...  Not
sure if the new disk is the same size as the old.  If it's larger, you'll
end up with some unused space and could extend the Linux partition.  Then
just modify /etc/fstab to remove the /home folder entry, then copy your
home folder over as you mentioned.

There may be better ways with other tools... but I'm sure that will end up
requiring some grub magic, which I don't do often enough to give out advice.