[kwlug-disc] Copying a Windows 7 partition to a new disk

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Mar 30 13:26:53 EDT 2016

A laptop at home has a functional Windows 7 partition, in addition to
the Kubuntu 14.04 root partition and the /home directory is on its own
partition.

The disk is unhealthy per the SMART stats, so I bought a new SSD disk
to replace the original one.

One thing is I want to combine root and /home in a single root
partition when replacing the disk.

I will do that the same way I did it on my by installing the new SSD
in the laptop, creating a partition for Windows, and another for Linux
(root, home and all), then copying the home directory from the daily
rsync server backup.

All this, I know how to do, and have done it before.

The question is: How does one go about copying the Windows partition
from the old disk to the new disk, using only Linux, and make sure
that it is in the grub's boot menu, and functional as before. Doesn't
Windows refuse (or used to refuse) to work when copied to a new hard
disk?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.