[kwlug-disc] FLOSS contributions

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Tue Aug 16 20:45:32 EDT 2016

I’m on the other side - I run an Open Source project and take contributions :)

The main challenge I see from my contributors and almost-contributors is that contributing code is a lot harder and a lot more time consuming than people think. Lots of Open Source projects (including mine) doesn’t have the luxury of allocating lots of time to clean up code properly, so most contributions will have to face a certain degree of refactoring, testing and bug hunting and -fixing. ..and that’s before the developer team even agrees that the contributed feature is something we want to accept and take responsibility for in the future.

In general I see a lot of will towards implementing features, but the pre- and post cleanup and testing is not something that’s very rewarding to most people and feature pull requests thus tends to sit around for a while waiting for someone to get time to do the remaining 80% of the job..

 -Marius