[kwlug-disc] Booting from USB on Chromebook -- how?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 14 00:35:49 EDT 2015

Hi,

I bought "HP Chromebook 11 G3" on sale for $199 at Canada Computers.  So
far, I have done the following successfully:
    - enable Developer mode
    - install Crouton script and "Crouton Integration" extension for
      Chrome browser.
    - install Ubuntu (trusty, 14.04.xx, xfce)
So, I have ChromeOS and Xubuntu running at the same time.

Now, booting from USB/SD is what I really want.  This way, I can keep
the Chromebook "clean" by having all Linux stuffs on USB stick.  But,
for the life of me, I can't get it to boot from USB stick.

I did
    - crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1

What else do I have to do?
Has anyone here successfully booted from USB on Chromebook?  Help...
--
William