[kwlug-disc] Kubuntu going away?

Sat Jun 27 11:49:43 EDT 2015

> On Jun 27, 2015, at 11:15 AM, B. S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> You have installed KDE on top of Ubuntu. Could do the same on top of Debian, for that matter.

It’s been a very long time since I’ve run a Linux desktop (4+ years now). I still use it for servers (Debian) and when I needed something desktop-y I’ve been using XFCE since the last time I was interested in this Unity was king and KDE was still a steaming pile of alpha-class software (which it had been since the 4.x days).

How is KDE now? I liked it considerably more than Gnome and a WHOLE lot more than Unity, but it’s instability and perpetual beta drove me away. I love XFCE for it’s lightness and quickness, but maybe KDE has finally got itself turned around.  How is it these days?

> I've done both. But gone back to installing Kubuntu proper as inevitably I end up in dll (repository) hell with conflicting dependencies as I install things like tools, then admin tools, then find one won't install for conflicting / not yet updated version in one package but not yet another. Which seems to be a K/Ubuntu repository thing, not a kde thing. Think back to your problems getting Skype / Wine to go. I've also tried kde full intending to strip out some of the extraneous fluff, but that was even worse. (Trying to get rid of akonadi, strigi, et al, is just BS.)

Agreed; KDE had an awful lot of baggage attached to it to get anything meaningfully integrated. I’m not sure if systemd has done away with a lot of it (I’ve not installed anything with systemd yet, still on Debian Wheezy).

-A.