[kwlug-disc] Kubuntu going away?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jun 27 11:57:08 EDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) <
aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:

> How is KDE now? I liked it considerably more than Gnome and a WHOLE lot
> more than Unity, but it’s instability and perpetual beta drove me away. I
> love XFCE for it’s lightness and quickness, but maybe KDE has finally got
> itself turned around.  How is it these days?

I have been using KDE as my only desktop constantly for at least 8 years
(maybe more).

It has been stable all that time, except for the non-LTS releases between
the transition from 3.5 to 4.x. Once I restricted myself to LTS releases, I
had no issues with stability.

Try Kubuntu 14.04 and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I am typing this from KDE.

> > I've done both. But gone back to installing Kubuntu proper as inevitably
> I end up in dll (repository) hell with conflicting dependencies as I
> install things like tools, then admin tools, then find one won't install
> for conflicting / not yet updated version in one package but not yet
> another. Which seems to be a K/Ubuntu repository thing, not a kde thing.
> Think back to your problems getting Skype / Wine to go. I've also tried kde
> full intending to strip out some of the extraneous fluff, but that was even
> worse. (Trying to get rid of akonadi, strigi, et al, is just BS.)
>
> Agreed; KDE had an awful lot of baggage attached to it to get anything
> meaningfully integrated. I’m not sure if systemd has done away with a lot
> of it (I’ve not installed anything with systemd yet, still on Debian
> Wheezy).

I don't recall any library conflicts that were KDE related. Nothing that
was not resolved by removing a single package or the like.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.