[kwlug-disc] Router dying?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 09:09:19 EDT 2015

When I got the TP-Link router up and going, I noticed that I was getting
lousy speeds on all devices on the network, frequent disconnects, and
Netflix was pretty much useless.  So in pulling cables and my hair out, I
noticed that one of the switches had all of its ports blinking at the same
time.  So I pulled out the cables one at a time and noticed that one of the
cables going to the secondary NIC on my Ubuntu server was the culprit.  I
shut that server down and the network started acting like it should.  So I
suspect that maybe I had a jabbering NIC?

As of today everything seems to be running, although I lost the internet a
couple of times for a few minutes.  I can't help but wonder if that's
Roger's fault, not my router's.

Now I need to decide if I should stick with the stock firmware, or try
openWRT again...