[kwlug-disc] Computer Recycling -- Laptop Repair Question.

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:32:34 EDT 2015

As Paul said we're more likely to recycle than reuse it, which makes both
Paul and I sad. That is a good use for the machine Joe, so you're to be
congratulated for reusing it instead of just junking it. We do get a few
hobbyists who come in, but as B.S. mentioned it's pretty rare (we're
usually overjoyed when someone makes good use of hardware we'd normally
recycle).

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> This is largely correct.
>
> We are willing to sell laptops in various states of disrepair to those
> who know what they are getting into. The main caveat is that any hard
> drives we sell need to be wiped.
>
> Average members of the public will get mad even if a mouse button is
> working imperfectly, never mind broken screens. So we won't put such
> laptops on the sales shelves.
>
> - Paul
>
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 03:26:12PM -0700, B. S. wrote:
>
> > Problem appears to be, from what I can tell, that Working Centre is
> > looking to sell such (even if only a nominal charge), and the
> > hobbyists that would only be interested in such hardware, or uses as
> > you suggest, don't plentifully walk into Computer Recycling. Use
> > even for kids or teenagers seems problematic, given the low power
> > hardware.
>

> > Would appreciate being corrected if I'm misunderstanding things.

Charles McColm, Author: Instant XBMC,
Columnist: Full Circle Magazine,
Project Manager: The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux