[kwlug-disc] Computer Recycling -- Laptop Repair Question.

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 8 18:26:12 EDT 2015

Problem appears to be, from what I can tell, that Working Centre is looking to sell such (even if only a nominal charge), and the hobbyists that would only be interested in such hardware, or uses as you suggest, don't plentifully walk into Computer Recycling. Use even for kids or teenagers seems problematic, given the low power hardware.

Would appreciate being corrected if I'm misunderstanding things.

For me, every new device is yet another device to maintain, let alone electrical source, physical location, power brick space (surge & UPSed). If I can graft something like XBMC into something I already have, including on the computer already connected to the TV, I'm going to do that rather than go back to old hardware and the unfamiliar different/lighter distros. Some have noted, for example, easier to go to Apple TV / black box /  purchased turnkey solution than respend the time sinking into MythTV and its issues (again).

The same hardware argument you make can be made for a front end firewall / ipsense / whatever, or openwrt. Played with openwrt some years back, and haven't looked at it since. Sinking back into it would be like MythTV above. I'm more likely to purchase an additional cheap router, or graft on to a current computer, or vm, than look for smaller (R Pi) or older hardware, than go back into OpenWRT.