[kwlug-disc] Computer Recycling -- Laptop Repair Question.

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:04:59 EDT 2015

Charles.
is re-purposing the donated laptops an option? I am using an old laptop with a broken screen/keyboard as an XBMC server (I also have LAMP running on it for dev fun) and, It works great! I was going to get a raspberry-PI like many of my friends, but, I just happened to have this old laptop with a broken screen/battery laying around,  (screen/battery replacement cost astronomical), so I used it as an XBMC machine instead.
 I know that there have been efforts to get the laptops running again, but could they be re-purposed all together? Some may want the raspberry-PI/ XBMC setup; but, if an old broken down laptop with similar capabilities could be acquired for equal or lower cost; (missing battery/screen/keyboard on a laptop usually means heading to the landfill; )could they still be useful? Maybe there are other uses for the laptops other than laptop? What are some other uses that a laptop could be re-purposed for?