[kwlug-disc] Linux Conference

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 7 03:16:24 EDT 2015

(kwlug) Forked? Nah. Purposed, I can buy. Lots of comments here surrounding know your market / audience, etc., good stuff - ever been applied to kwlug itself?

(In essence, kwlug) Streamed? Now there's a thought. To your point, Paul, nothing says kwlug can't identify for itself core themes, and nothing says it has to be the same theme every month.

In essence, it seems that Colin has identified an 'event' in his mind's eye that he is keen about. Could be effected via or with the assistance and auspices of kwlug.

However, a 'hobbyist' tact has been identified (which certainly appears to line up with kwlug), but would have to compete with the entire array of hobbies - not just MS vs Apple, Android vs Mac, or Chrome vs Firefox, but an evening of geeky computer stuff vs ... bowling. And fresh out of school newbie geeks may be more interested in social events with (non-geek) friends, or on skills acquisition that will directly help them pay down student loans, pay the rent, or buy that new big screen TV.

If Linux is primarily encountered in academia, then abandoned afterwards (one uses what environment one's employer provides), doesn't that speak volumes as to the likely interest or audience size, given the above?

vs something like 'Linux is good for your business ... here's how?" To capture those seeking skills acquisition? Goes back to the workshop thought?

Colin's communal aspect certainly strikes a chord. Very little beyond a personal script doesn't involve a team of people, especially if distributed - we live not only in a technical environment, but a communal environment - be it coworkers, hosters, help forums, or installations. Not just individual efforts with technology XYZ.

'kwlug Community Project of the Quarter'? Project initiated as an attempt to apply a technology (such as Colin might present on) to some community communal effort that would benefit from the application of said technology?