[kwlug-disc] Linux Conference

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jun 6 15:15:08 EDT 2015

I agree that events in major cities have a wider audience and that K/W,
despite its tech reputation, may not have a wider appeal. So, for an event
that is for Toronto to London, it may be OK. But for wider appeal (Western
New York, Ottawa, Montreal, ...etc.) I don't think K/W will be as
attractive.

One of the problems of organizing an event and make it sustained over the
years is stamina and burnout.

If the event depends on a limited number of volunteers, then life happens
and the core group of volunteers disperse (getting married, retiring,
moving to a different city/country, having kids, changing jobs, shifting to
other interests, ...etc)

Organizing an event is a lot of effort, and like Paul said, one person
doing it is an overburden. For sanity's sake, and sustainability, there has
to be a group of them.

The venue is the key, and then the date (avoid summer, people want to go
outdoors). If you get a free venue, then other costs are minimal and
perhaps donations or a small entry fee can maintain the event, so no need
to have sponsors.

There is also the issue of which legal entity will collect the money and
spend it. Collecting money without having such an entity can mean trouble
with the CRA (or whatever their name is now). If it is all in kind (venue,
A/V, volunteer effort, ...etc.) then it is less off an issue. Some
companies agree to front end such activities on behalf of the event. In
other cases, an entity can be formed, but then you have to apply to the CRA
for charitable status, and have a volunteer file financials every year (or
hire someone to do it).

For the sake of simplicity and testing the waters, plan on organizing the
event for free with a free venue sponsor, or a low attendance fee. Then
based on what happens you plan for next years.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken