[kwlug-disc] Linux Conference

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sat Jun 6 13:18:47 EDT 2015

>I do think that, given the tech community here, that KW is an ideal spot for such an undertaking.

Evidently not, or OnLinux would have been here and ongoing today. That it wasn't I expect to be for very good reason, given the savvy of the organizers.

Toronto being a transportation hub, and OnLinux not continuing despite being located there, should speak volumes. Aside from venue location, that there were insufficient sponsors for the event to at least break even in an alternate location, I'm guessing, speaks to the community's willingness to part with $ to gather.

That may well be different today, given the prevalence of apps / local 'small' startups, but we're back to know your audience(s) and your market(s), as I said earlier. (Academic vs non-). Whether there's enough to make an event viable, I have no idea. See digimer's comment about small starts and growing.

I gather, per this list, Ohio Linux is popular - it would be interesting to better understand why that's so. e.g. Audience, content, geographic area from which it's pulling, sponsorship (and why successfully sponsored).

Seems to me Kitchener aud. used to have an annual computer show. I don't know that it does any more. There must be reasons for that.

Paul annually calls for presenters for Software Freedom Day, struggling, I believe, to fill the day(s). Presumably due to limited interest.

I suspect the very environment works 'against you'. There are only so many hours in a day, so much capacity to learn new stuff, and people usually focus on what's in front of them at the moment. Never mind use it or lose it. (No point refamiliarizing myself with Cobol if I won't be writing in it any time soon.) So when some 'technology' reaches some saturation point for me, my long experience and expertise, given the rich (and free) web environment for resources (references, documentation, how to's, expert help), means I can go and pick up the knowledge then, and only then. I do not need to 'waste' time attending gatherings where the first 7/8 of the time is bringing those new to the topic up to the speed I'm already at. So, presumably, your target audience are those new to the ecosystem, and those needing to sink into the nature of a beastie of a new technology. Cloud infrastructure, or multi-location network infrastructure establishment, come to mind. Not an easy audience to gather, let alone content satisfy.

So it may well be that Colin will have most success with a computer club / annual event within the Conestoga environs, where the interested saturation level, and likely free venue space, will likely be more prevalent. (But seems to echo with OnLinux and Seneca / level of ongoing viability?)

I do not wish to be a stick in the mud, and I do not expect anyone here does, either. All would wish boundless success. But no one I know of has yet found the magic wand that makes this all just happen. I hope the environment (apps, chrome, tablets, fast cell data speeds) has changed and that you do find a magic wand. That this thread has gone on as long as it has, with as much interest and detailed knowledge expressed within it, speaks to the level of interest in the idea.