[kwlug-disc] Cell phone providers

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Jun 2 14:37:02 EDT 2015

On 02/06/15 02:33 PM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> So a telemarketer from Telus called me at work today to remind me that
> my three contract with them finishes up this month.  Would I like a new
> phone now?  I told him that I was waiting for an Ubuntu phone to come
> out.  He honestly had no idea what I was talking about and he said that
> he's never heard of Ubuntu.  I explained to him that it's an OS.  So he
> said "oh, so it runs on Android?"
>
> Nevertheless...  I was wondering what you guys using for cell phone
> providers?  I know Bob uses Wind for the unlimited data but has poor
> coverage.  I recently switched Wifeski over to Koodo and that seems to
> be working out for her, but she's not a heavy user.
>
> I know you're going to ask me just what I need from a provider, so I
> will tell you now before you ask.... Basically I'm looking for:
>
> Ubuntu phones! (yes, I know, I have to wait...)
> not a lot of texting
> not a lot of voice calls
> I used maybe 150-200 meg of data a month on my current plan
> I like the "fav 10" or whatever they call it where there's a list of
> numbers that I can call for free from anywhere in Canada.
> Since I do occasionally travel to the US, free roaming/calling in the US
> would be nice, if it doesn't add too much to the monthly bill.
> Other than the numbers on the "fav 10" or US calls, I really don't do a
> lot of long distance.
> And those of you who know me will know, I don't want Bell!
>
> What are you guys using, and are you happy with your provider?
>
> Thanks!

I have Wind for the unlimited plan (US, too) and a Koodo phone as a
backup in case anything happens to my primary wind phone or if I lose
signal.

The Koodo range and signal is better, hands down. However, I can use
anywhere from 1GB to 10GB a month and generally measure my talk time in
hours/month. So for me, Koodo and the evil triplets are just not
feasible. Even with the cost of the backup Koodo phone, it's cheaper and
I get more predictable billing.

If you're using that little data and voice, I think Koodo is the best
choice, just watch your usage.

--
Digimer
access to education?