[kwlug-disc] Cell phone providers

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:33:08 EDT 2015

So a telemarketer from Telus called me at work today to remind me that my
three contract with them finishes up this month.  Would I like a new phone
now?  I told him that I was waiting for an Ubuntu phone to come out.  He
honestly had no idea what I was talking about and he said that he's never
heard of Ubuntu.  I explained to him that it's an OS.  So he said "oh, so
it runs on Android?"

Nevertheless...  I was wondering what you guys using for cell phone
providers?  I know Bob uses Wind for the unlimited data but has poor
coverage.  I recently switched Wifeski over to Koodo and that seems to be
working out for her, but she's not a heavy user.

I know you're going to ask me just what I need from a provider, so I will
tell you now before you ask.... Basically I'm looking for:

Ubuntu phones! (yes, I know, I have to wait...)
not a lot of texting
not a lot of voice calls
I used maybe 150-200 meg of data a month on my current plan
I like the "fav 10" or whatever they call it where there's a list of
numbers that I can call for free from anywhere in Canada.
Since I do occasionally travel to the US, free roaming/calling in the US
would be nice, if it doesn't add too much to the monthly bill.
Other than the numbers on the "fav 10" or US calls, I really don't do a lot
of long distance.
And those of you who know me will know, I don't want Bell!

What are you guys using, and are you happy with your provider?

Thanks!