[kwlug-disc] OT: Teksavvy DSL plans

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:57:01 EST 2015

On 15-01-20 09:14 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

> The quality of the phone is very phone. I can't hear him over the static
> and choppiness. They ended up getting cell phone plans because their
> land line (actually VoIP through Acanac) is very poor, specially if they
> are watching a video on the TV.

I've used Acanac's VoIP (among others) for almost a decade now, on both
DSL and cable. If he is having audio quality issues, something is
mis-configured or not working properly. If I was to guess, it's probably
a crappy router that can't maintain the low latency of VOIP in the
presence of the load placed on it by streaming video. I have had
multiple devices streaming Netflix, even p2p stuff running, and see less
than 1% packet loss and a latency of less than 100ms on my cheap
SPA2102. Of course, I have in the past tinkered with something and
caused audio issues on the phone -but that was my fault, and it was
fixable. The audio quality is superior to cell phones, as it should be
considering the codecs used.