[kwlug-disc] SSH to a VM

Nick Guenther nguenthe at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 12 22:25:06 EST 2015

On 12/02/15 02:44 PM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> First off, to do a sort of cleaning I got rid of the existing VIRBR0
> (with the troublesome 192.168.122.x address) on the host machine using:
>
> # virsh net-destroy default
> # virsh net-undefine default
> # service libvirtd restart
>
> Then I created a new VIRBR1 with an address in the right subnet
> (10.x.x.x) .
>
> So at this point, I can SSH to the VM from a remote location.  This is
> a good milestone.

So it was just a subnet problem! Hooray! I'm happy I was able to help.
VMs like popcorn sound tasty... I've always only used qemu as a toy
because networking is such a pain.

> However, VNC is still giving me some grief.  If I try to log in
> remotely using TightVNC (from a Windows client), I get the error
> "Error in TightVNC Viewer: No security types supported.  Server sent
> security types, but we do not support any of their".  This is strange
> as the same TightVNC configuration works on other Ubuntu boxes at
> home.  In fact, I did much of the above goofiness over a TightVNC
> connection to an existing Ubuntu desktop with similar configuration.
> Most of the results I found in Google say to disable encryption but
> that's not in my plans.  If I get past this issue I'll let you know.

I think I've run into this before because I remember having the same
grossed out reaction to what passes for good advice as you did. Let me
see if I can help.

Since you're running Ubuntu, I assume VNC is handled by Vino? Check out
dconf folder org.gnome.desktop.remote-access.authentication-methods (the
dconf-editor GUI really helps with exploring this and I entirely
recommend you skip the command line for this part). If that doesn't
help, the nearby keys can; for example, temporarily turning off
encryption can't hurt if you're just on your LAN and can help you debug
if something is deeply broken or if it's just that the handshake is
going wrong. You could also look at this dconf key on a working system
to compare.