[kwlug-disc] SSH to a VM

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:44:52 EST 2015

Well I'm making some progress now.  Chased a bunch of red herrings before I
found a solution but it was worth it.  If you're interested, there's a
decent guide at http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking , although much of
what I ended up doing was cobbled together from various sources.

First off, to do a sort of cleaning I got rid of the existing VIRBR0 (with
the troublesome 192.168.122.x address) on the host machine using:

# virsh net-destroy default
# virsh net-undefine default
# service libvirtd restart

Then I created a new VIRBR1 with an address in the right subnet (10.x.x.x) .

Next, I deleted the VM that never worked right and started over.  Creating
a new VM (Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop) using Virtual Machine Manager has gotten
ridiculously easy.  Similar to vShDuring the new VM creation process, if
you go to Advanced settings you can specify VIRBR1 as the bridge.  Sorry,
but I don't recall if I specified the second NIC card anywhere.  I will
check next time.

If I must have something to complain about, it's that VMM could give us a
bit more granular control over how the VM is configured, but the system
works as is.

Once the new VM was created, it took a minute to find the internet but as
soon as it did the Software Update ran out and found updates to install.  I
could browse the internet right away.

>From there it was just a matter of setting the machine up on DynDNS.com,
installing OpenSSH, VNC server, etc., setting up Port Forwarding on the
router, etc.

So at this point, I can SSH to the VM from a remote location.  This is a
good milestone.

However, VNC is still giving me some grief.  If I try to log in remotely
using TightVNC (from a Windows client), I get the error "Error in TightVNC
Viewer: No security types supported.  Server sent security types, but we do
not support any of their".  This is strange as the same TightVNC
configuration works on other Ubuntu boxes at home.  In fact, I did much of
the above goofiness over a TightVNC connection to an existing Ubuntu
desktop with similar configuration.  Most of the results I found in Google
say to disable encryption but that's not in my plans.  If I get past this
issue I'll let you know.