[kwlug-disc] Best DIY git service options

Fri Dec 4 14:45:54 EST 2015

> On Dec 4, 2015, at 1:10 PM, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com> wrote:
> Gitlab CE does look good from the user PoV.
> From an administrative angle, I would feel better about it if it was not
> a monolithic blob to install and update.

I agree; While they do encourage you to go the blob route, it can be installed “by hand” — this is precisely how I will be installing my test setup. As I mentioned in a previous message, I’m fearful that the “install a blob” method will wreck my existing, working Redmine install or its rails environment.

… I went to grab the URL to the “bare metal” install but it looks like I am mistaken. This sours me to gitlab considerably. I could have sworn there were instructions on how to get Rails set up, all the gems, etc.  I’ll continue to search and report back here.

-A.