[kwlug-disc] Best DIY git service options

Fri Dec 4 13:47:38 EST 2015

> On Dec 4, 2015, at 12:22 PM, B.S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Am I missing something here?
> I interpreted Lori's message as being:
> - I intend to apt-get {blah} on my own private (perhaps hosted) server, where {blah} has similar features to gitolite.
> - What is your favourite {blah}?
>
> Not "What is your favourite public gitolite like hosting provider?'
>
> Or have I misread / misunderstood Andrew's message?

I interpreted it that way as well. I wasn’t presenting public gitolike or github-like services, although I mentioned a couple as I generalized the question a little to round out the discussion.

gitlab is private hosted and OSS
atlassian stash is private hosted, but not OSS (has OSS elements)
github has private server options (I think, might be misremembering)
gitolite is private hosted and OSS
taiga.io and youtrack appear cloud-only.

gitlab in particular is “apt get install”-able, although I would rather install it from source because I’m terrified that installing it via apt-get alongside my redmine install will cause breakage in Redmine. I know almost nothing about Rails although I rely on it daily.

-A.