[kwlug-disc] Best DIY git service options

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Dec 4 12:56:17 EST 2015

On 12/04/2015 11:46 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) wrote:
>> On Dec 4, 2015, at 11:27 AM, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com> wrote:
>> I am putting together a small multi-repo/multi-user, no-frills git
>> service on a private server and would like to get input on what the
>> current "best" git management system is.
>> This server runs Ubuntu 14.04 (bonus points for repo/ppa-available
>> solutions).
>>
>> The current best option appears to be gitolite:
>> http://gitolite.com/gitolite/index.html
>> I would imagine the solution I eventually go with to have features
>> similar to gitolite.
>>
>> Thanks for any opinions/tips/warnings on this.
> This is timely, I’m actually looking at something similar.
>
> I use Redmine for my business and it does have git support, but it’s a little weak, mostly in the sense that anyone who has repo access in a project has repo access to all repos for that project. It also lacks the discussion and review aspects for things like pull requests.
>
> I was looking at Atlasssian stash/bitbucket, gitlab and github. I’ve never particularly liked gitolite just from a “feel” perspective. I dislike cloud based stuff (unless it’s my own cloud) so the cloud variants of these were out.
>
> Stash is nice and the price is right for small (up to 10) members. The price jump for that 11th member is quite steep, though.  Gitlab’s community edition is good and it’s also OSS, but they intentionally leave out some of the nicer merge/pull review bits to try to get you to buy their EE. Price is per-user in EE and you’re looking at a minimum $400 outlay to get those features. github’s private version seems to be even more expensive. There’s also taiga.io and youtrack, but they are both exclusively cloud based, so an instant-no for me.
>
> Out of all of those, I think I’m leaning toward Gitlab. It offers strong integration support for many aspects (project management with redmine/confluence/jira/etc.), social stuff with mattermost/slack/etc… and it’s also Rails, which is already the devil I’m working with with Redmine.
>
> What’s got you leaning toward gitolite? Perhaps it’s something I should take another look at.
>
> -A.

The number one feature that caught my attention was the clean and clever
use of the gitolite-admin repo for user, group and repo administration.
It is probably my ignorance of the subject, but I have not seen this
kind of simplicity in user management in other options.
I know for the current git service I have set up, I went through a few
rounds of hoops in setting up UNIX users with restricted shells and keys
and
access to select repos.  My main motivation in this search is to avoid
these hassles and gitolite appears to completely remove them.