[kwlug-disc] Does anyone want to take over Thunderbird?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 1 17:21:36 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 01:19:44PM -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing
lists account) wrote:

> Back on topic though… yes, I have not found a GOOD email client.
> When I ran Linux on the desktop I used kmail. On Windows I used
> Thunderbird for a while but it was suffering the same hideous bloat
> that Firefox has suffered. Outlook sucks the least, but it’s still
> awful. I did try a couple closed-source email clients that ran on
> Linux but they seemed to fail for lack of support and likely lack of
> audience. On a mac (my current desktop) it’s the built in mail
> client which is passable. I’ve started using pine/mutt a number of
> times as the idea of text-only email appeals to me, but it just
> doesn’t seem to scratch the itch.

Back when I was researching this topic for our Linux distro I decided
upon Sylpheed: http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/ . There is also a more
featureful alternative called Claws: http://www.claws-mail.org/

To my surprise both seem to be under active development. They are much
less well-known that Thunderbird and Outlook, so I will take the risk
of mentioning them.

Sylpheed has Mac OS X binaries. Claws requires you to build from
source (ugh):
http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Installation_and_Configuration#How_to_build_Claws_Mail_on_Mac_OS_X.3F

In the text space, the trendy goal seems to be handling enormous
amount sof mail from the command line:

https://notmuchmail.org/
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/nmh/

- Paul