[kwlug-disc] Does anyone want to take over Thunderbird?

Tue Dec 1 17:34:44 EST 2015

> On Dec 1, 2015, at 5:21 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Back when I was researching this topic for our Linux distro I decided
> upon Sylpheed: http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/ . There is also a more
> featureful alternative called Claws: http://www.claws-mail.org/

Sylpheed is one I was thinking of. Back then it seemed to have a lot of effort on non-ASCII charsets which didn’t matter to me. From the screenshots it looks like it’s still in KDE 3.x land (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing). Haven’t heard of Claws before. There was another called mulberry or something.

Yes, mulberry, although it’s under new management (since 2006): http://www.mulberrymail.com/

> To my surprise both seem to be under active development. They are much
> less well-known that Thunderbird and Outlook, so I will take the risk
> of mentioning them.

I’m curious… now that we’re discussing it… What makes for a great MUA? What does the current crop fail at?

-A.