[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Sep 4 12:34:53 EDT 2014

That sums it up:

"Disclaimer: We are not sysvinit purists by any means. We do recognize the
need for a new init system in the 21st century, but systemd is not it."

As I said before, no one is objecting to faster booting and better syntax,
with dependency startup. But systemd crams up way more than any sane daemon
should do, and creates a long dependency chain, hence the objections.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Jeff Smith <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There's a new article on the systemd debate on the linuxbsdos.com website:
>

> http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/09/03/is-systemd-as-bad-as-boycott-systemd-is-trying-to-make-it/
>
> The author doesn't really make a strong case either way, but he does point
> out an anti-systemd website: http://boycottsystemd.org/
>

> > Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 15:53:14 -0400
> > From: opengeometry at yahoo.ca
> > To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org
>
> > Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 03:09:25PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

> > > The Java people did not learn anything. It is common practice in the
> Java
> > > world to bundle everything in what you distribute with your app.
> >
> > From Vendor perspective, there are advantages in support. Also, from
> > customer perspective, if it doesn't work, it's the vendor's
> > responsibility. There is less finger pointing.
> > --
> > William

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.