[kwlug-disc] question about Webcam, Mic, Headphone for Skype video calls

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 30 09:06:57 EDT 2014

Agreed, it 'just works' on Kubuntu 14.04. (Assuming multi-arch.)

Part of what Khalid is referring to is there was a fair span of time
where there was/is a goofy circle of dependencies that were irritating
to resolve - surrounding non/-i386 file versions. Being aptitude users
it took some time for Khalid to come across the non-intuitive solution
of using apt-get for that moment. Thankfully he happened to mention it
some years in and I was able to leverage that info. [One of the few
times I've encountered dependency hell.]

Note that I'm speaking to Skype installation - I only installed and
logged in to it before giving it back to the user. I didn't play with
use beyond testing that the laptop cam showed an image and the mic
levels moved.

For the OP, I expect the live CD won't come with Skype, so a USB install
to pull out at need may have the least footprint.